We are going to talk about volume and rep here. According to our Goal, how many reps, set and rest periods should we have in strength, hypertrophy and endurance training. Let’s understand these the strength (muscle building or powerlifting) or endurance (fat-loss) and hypertrophy category wise. I will explain the different categories so that I can explain to you, how you can choose the reps range and sets in different categories. Because you are often confused about the rep-range, some apply fewer reps, some apply more and some in-between. This can be followed by anyone, whether they are a Beginner, whether they are intermediate or advanced.
|WEIGHTLIFTER||[REPS = 1-3], [SET = 3-8], [REST = 2-5 minutes]|
|STRENGTH||[REPS = 5-8], [SET = 3-6], [REST = 2-3 minutes]|
|HYPERTROPHY||[REPS = 8-12], [SET = 3-5], [REST = 30-90 seconds]|
|ENDURANCE||[REPS = 12+], [SET = 3-4], [REST = 30-45 seconds]|
- Mass Building, Weightlifters, Strength Building, Muscle Gain, Size gain all these will go into strength.
- In this, the rep range should be less than 8 or 8 reps.
- You can apply 3 to 6 sets in it. Since it employs 8 or less-than 8 rapes, the sets can be increased. This will increase your volume.
- And its rest time will be 2 to 3 minutes. When you lift heavy-weight, you have to do more-rest for 2 to 3 minutes.
- If you are doing powerlifting, applying 1 to 3 reps then rest for 5 minutes.
- Here your rep-ranges will be from 8 to 12 reps.
- And the set will not be more, will be between 3 and 5 sets.
- The rest-period in this will be 30 to 90 seconds in it.
- As your rep increases, the rest will decrease.
- In endurance, your rep-ranges will be 12 or more than 12 reps i.e. 12+.
- In this, you have to do 3 to 4 sets.
- If you increase the reps, you do not need to increase the sets, so only put 3 to 4 sets in it.
- And rest-period will be 30-45 seconds.
The focalization of Strength, Hypertrophy, and Endurance
- So the simple is that whenever you are building strength then the volume of your sets can be more. That is, you can go up to 8 sets. You still have the power and strength to do 6, 7, 8 sets.
- And when you have been applying rep range 12, 15, 18, or 20, then you drop your sets and rest period as well. When reps increase, both rest and rep drop.
- So if your goal is Muscle Building or Size Gain, then Strength is going to be your no.1 focus.
- You already know about bodybuilders that whenever the off-season comes, they focus on building strength for 3 to 4 months.
- when they doing the cutting phase, most of them focusing on endurance training workout programs, especially last week, because they are having a low carb diet.
- Athlete people (those doing workout within sports and ground) focus very much on endurance. “Basically endurance is stamina and stamina is endurance”.
- Powerlifters are a focus on strength and bodybuilder focus on strength, hypertrophy, endurance above all.
- In hypertrophy training, we apply both strength(8 reps) and endurance (12 or more). Meaning what you do in it, you first apply 12 reps, second 10 and third 8. This is probably typically most of the common strength and endurance both together, that’s hypertrophy.
- If your goal is to build strength then keep your reps range 5 to 8 reps. Keep reps range 12 or more than 12 reps if your goal is cutting or endurance build. And if you want hypertrophy i.e. both strength and endurance simultaneously, then keep your representative in the middle of 8 to 12 or in-between.
- But I always suggest you first do the experience in the strength building. Build up your strength 1 to 3 months, then build-up your endurance another 1 to 3 months. After taking 6 months of the total experience in strength and endurance separately, the next 2 months do work on hypertrophy training.
- Hypertrophy is one of the best amazing training for anybody.
FITABOUTS covers all aspects of physical and mental health openly and purposefully as we are here for the whole person – for the whole life. And because people come to us with unique challenges and we are the first to empathize with our website. In everything from our personal approach to our commitment to inclusiveness, you will see that we feel with you. We hope you will tap into all of FITABOUTS ‘resources – from our Health and Fitness library and newspapers, podcasts, and communities.